Saturday, January 1, 2011

No-Sew Blanket Tutorial

Yesterday I dragged DH with me to Joann's because they were having some awesome sales and I wanted to get some fabric.  While we were there I picked up some fleece that was on sale and today I used it to make a no-sew blanket.  I've made these before and they were pretty popular a couple years ago.  I love the one I already have, but since DH steals it all the time I thought I'd make another.  These are really easy to make and don't involve a lot of skill so they are awesome for someone who is still learning.  I'm not sure who first came up with the idea, but if this is someone's original idea please let me know so I can give credit.

First, gather your materials.  You'll need two pieces of fleece that measure either 2 yards or 2 1/4 depending on how long you want it.  My first blanket was 2 yards, this is 2 1/4.  You could probably make it longer if you wanted, but this size works for me.



I chose a blue and a light brown that I thought would fit well with the colors in our house.



These are the tools I used.  You can substitute for other tools if you don't already have these.  I used two rulers, my self-healing mat, a rotary cutter and some scissors.  In reality, you could get away with just the scissors, but the rest of the tools made my life a little easier.

Lay out your first color of fleece on a large flat surface.  I used the floor because I don't have a table big enough for the whole thing to lay out.  Then line up the second piece of fleece on top of it.  They might be slightly different sizes, but they should be fairly close.  Smooth out both pieces.

Once smooth, I used my mat underneath both layers of fabric and used the rotary cutter and ruler to cut off the edges and make the two pieces line up perfectly.  You could also use scissors and just eyeball it.


Then use the ruler and measure every inch or so.  You'll cut a ton of 3" strips out of both fabrics.  I eventually gave up on the ruler and just made sure my cuts were close to an inch apart and about 3" long.  It's not a big deal if they aren't perfect.  You really won't be able to tell once it's done.


Make sure to cut off the corners so that the blanket can be tied together properly.


Then start tying a bunch of simple knots.  They look just like the first step in tying your shoes.  The only thing you have to worry about here is making sure that you don't miss a pair or end up leaving out a strip.


Once you've finished tying them all you're done.  You can tie them twice if you like.  It will help them stay a little bit better when you wash it, but it's an optional step. 

Then enjoy your nice warm blanket.


 This is the blue side of my finished project.  I can't wait to use it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment