Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Kite Runner

I just read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, which is the story of Amir and his life growing up in Afghanistan.  It starts out when he is about twelve years old and covers his relationship with his best friend, Hassan, and his father throughout his life. 

This book was incredible.  Engaging and descriptive writing that really gave me an idea of what it was like to grow up in Afghanistan during the last thirty years or so.  Not only that but it tells a very touching story that left me heartbroken a few times.  The book isn't exactly full of twists (though there is one big one), but it wasn't needed in order to keep me connected.  I read the book in four days while doing plenty of other things (including getting attacked by a bee, but that's another story). 

I will say, there are at least two parts that are disturbing.  Had I know that they were coming, I might have skipped reading it, so if you tend to be sensitive, I would recommend skipping this one.  However, the story that is told is beautiful and well worth those few moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment