Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Book Thief

I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak last night and I have to say that I loved this book.  It's told from the point of view of death about a young girl who steals books.  He develops a fascination with her and ends up telling a story about her adolescence and experiences growing up in Germany during World War II.

The writing style is different than usual, which took me a few pages to get used to.  It's totally worth it, though, because it adds something to the book.  It's a bit haunting as well to hear so much about death.  However, it completely makes sense considering the time period.

The story is beautifully told and has very rich descriptions without seeming over done.  Dialogue was very realistic and if you read it you'll even learn a handful of swear words in German.  It makes sense in context, though.

The author has written a couple other books and I'm hoping to find at least one of them at my library.  I couldn't find them in the bookstore last night, but I was a bit rushed.  I highly recommend this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment