Monday, February 7, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  I just love her writing style, even when it's non-fiction.  This book is her family's true account of their year of eating locally grown foods.  They're each allowed one luxury item, but they still try to get it in the most sustainable way possible.  Everything else they eat is either grown themselves or purchased from local sources. 

The book is very inspirational.  It made me want to start focusing on eating things that are grown in my area and eat seasonally.  It also encouraged me to try to grow my own food so I'll be planting a few things come spring time.  I don't think I could kill my own meat though.  I would have a really hard time with that part.

There's a ton of information in this book.  I learned a lot and I've done a ton of research on the locavore movement so just about anyone would find at least a handful of things they didn't know before reading this. 

I also love her argument against vegetarianism.  I won't give it away, but it's a very interesting read.  I'd recommend this book to just about anyone interested in healthy eating or food in general, although it would be nice to see a lot of people read it and maybe make some changes in their eating habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment