Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ready Player One

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline yesterday before I went to work.  It's a story that takes place in the future where just about everyone spends their time inside a virtual reality called the OASIS.  When the creator of the OASIS died and leaves behind his fortune to the first person who can solve the clues he's left behind, the search is on.  The book is told from the point of view of Wade Watts, a young man who is one of the people trying to solve the puzzle. 

I loved this book.  It is filled with references to 80s music, games, movies, and television.  I'm sure some of them went over my head, but the ones that I did get were great.  While they add to the story for those who do get them, I don't think someone who was unfamiliar with them would feel like they were missing anything.  It's a very well-told story with interesting characters and lots of plot twists.  While some parts are a little predictable, I still thought it was a great book.  I only wish this weren't his first novel so there would be more to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment