Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Dishes

Ever since we moved in together DH and I have been using old plates.  Really old plates.  They were the set his parents got as a wedding gift.  They weren't technically dishwasher/microwave safe either.  We actually had a plate crack down the middle while in the microwave one time.  The worst part is that since we didn't have the whole set (his roommates broke a lot of them before we got together) we had a ton of mismatched pieces.  Even with all the mismatched ones we still ran out all the time because we didn't have very many of anything.

At various times we picked up a couple cheap bowls to add to the set, his brother brought dinner to our house and left his plate behind, and we both had roommates leave various dishes behind when they moved out so we acquired them.  It was a disaster to fit into the dishwasher because nothing fit together. 

We've wanted new dishes for a while but have had a really hard time finding a set that we both liked, was microwave and dishwasher safe, and didn't have really deep bowls (they're hard to fit in the dishwasher).  Well, we finally found them. 





It's this set from Corelle.  I don't know the name of it, but the red stripes are really cute and they fit really well with all the red in our kitchen.  


I can't tell you how happy I am to have new dishes.  They fit together in the cabinet and in the dishwasher.  They also aren't ridiculously heavy (did you know plates from the 70s could also be used as weights?).  And since they're Corelle they're designed to withstand dropping without cracking or chipping.  I suppose they might if you threw them at the ground, but my mom has similar dishes and she has dropped them without any issues.  The set she has is older than me and still in great condition.  So I imagine we'll have these for a while. 

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go eat some ice cream out of one of the bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment