Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show

I made another trip to the library and picked up a bunch of books.  My most recent one was The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show by Ariel Gore. 

I have to say I'm not very impressed.  The storyline was fairly interesting, but would have fit better as a short story.  It is short, but it would have been more fitting to have cut out most of the first half and just had a little bit of the explanation.  How the other characters met doesn't really play into the rest of the story.  The first part is a ton of unnecessary explanation while the ending and main plot of the story comes quickly.  There isn't even a real ending for the characters.  Some characters' stories are wrapped up well enough, but others are left hanging. 

The writing left a lot to be desired as well.  Some parts flow really well and sucked me in.  Others felt really repetitive as every single sentenced started with "I" and were hard to read through.

The best part to me was that it's set mostly in Northern California so I at least somewhat recognized the locations in the story.  

I don't think I'll be picking up another one of her books again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment