Thursday, November 11, 2010

Banned books

Since I've updated the list to show that I've read 13 books from the banned books list, I thought I'd point out which ones I've read.  I'm using this list.  These are the 13 that I've read before.  My goal is to be able to say that I've read 20 by the end of my 1001 days.  Here's the list of ones I've read:

1. The Scary Story Series by Alvin Schwartz.  I used to read these in elementary school and I loved them.  I wasn't the only one either because those books were always checked out. 

2. Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey.  Another one I used to read in elementary school. 

3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.  I read this my junior year of high school.  Hard to get used to the writing style, but I really liked it.  After I complained to that teacher that all the books had crappy endings he told me to get used to it because they were all like that.  This was the only book out of 6 that didn't end horribly.

4. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.  Another junior year book.  I hated this one.  Holden Caulfield is a whiny little bitch.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I read this in 8th and 9th grade English.  I love this one.  The movie is actually good too.

6. Gossip Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar.  An early high school series.  I enjoyed the series.  I never watched the show though.  I'm not really sure what is so bad about it that it made it on the list.
 
7. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler.  I know I read it, but I really don't remember much about it.  Really tells you how great it is, right?

8. Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison.  It's the first in a series, but the others aren't on the list.  I thought these books were hilarious. 

9. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.  Read my senior year of high school.  Or rather, read to me since my teacher would read half of our homework to us each day. 

10. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  Read it my freshman year of high school.  I love the irony of this book being banned.

11. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle.  I read it in 5th grade at the urging of my dad.  I loved it.  I was so upset when I finished it because I wanted the book to be longer.

12. Goosebumps the series by R.L. Stine.  I read every one of these books I could get my hands on in 4th grade.  I also watched the TV show (which really sucked). 

13. Are you There God?  It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume.  One of many books on the list about growing up.  Apparently we aren't supposed to prepare children for the things that will change. 

So this is my list as it currently stands.  I have a few ideas for which books I'd like to add to it, but not all 7.  I find it interesting that most of the ones I read for school came in high school.  I didn't add a single book to this list while I was in college and I got my degree in English.  And some of those books definitely fit the criteria.  Maybe they'll be added to the next decade's list. 

For the couple people that have seen this blog, which books from the list have you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment