Monday, June 6, 2011

Cleaning up at Grandma's

My great-grandmother passed away about a month ago.  She was an awesome lady who lived to 94 and I am fortunate to have had her in my life for almost 24 years.  Yesterday the immediate family all got together at her house so that we could all pick out whatever we wanted to remember her by.  While it was sad to go through her things, it was also a lot of fun to spend time with that part of my family and laugh about the old memories and the crazy stuff she kept.  She even left notes for my cousin not to throw out some spin art that she made when she was probably 10 (which was over 30 years ago). 

I had a great time hanging out with one of my cousins who I hardly ever get to see.  I also took home a few items that belonged to my grandmother.  The main one was one of her platters.  She had a huge collection of dishes and china and pretty much everything you can possibly imagine you might one day need for a fancy dinner party.  In the back of a cabinet we found a gorgeous silver platter that is in desperate need of some polishing, but is otherwise ready to go.  I've been wanting a platter so it's nice to have one of hers. 

DH picked out a few nicknacks while we were there, but the most important thing that we picked out were two of her paintings.  She proudly displayed her artwork on her walls, so they are paintings that I've seen my whole life.  The one that DH picked out wasn't one of my favorites, but it was his, so it's now hanging over our fireplace.  The other one we took home is a beautiful painting of a sunset with lots of oranges and blues.  It sat in her dining room and I remember looking at it during holiday dinners.  I'm happy to have it in my house, it just needs a home now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment