Sunday, April 1, 2012

Gardening

We had a brief moment of spring here not too long ago.  It's back to raining (though, fortunately, not snowing anymore).  The seasons seem to be confused.  We had almost no weather for the entire season of winter.  Then two days before spring started we got a crazy snow storm and it has continued storming on and off since then.  Hopefully this weekend will be the last of it. 

Anyway, the husband and I got it into our heads to take care of our lawn, which led to me wanting to plant something colorful in the flowerbeds outside our front window.  So we went off to Lowe's to find a couple flowers.  Then we saw that the vegetable plants were in and we ended up walking out of there with an entire garden's worth of plants.  I got my colorful flowers.  We bought two different kinds of daisies and a bunch of ranunculus* for the window bed.  They look so bright and cheery on the front of our house.  I forgot to take pictures of them though and it's cold outside right now.  Google them if you want to see pretty pictures. 

We also plants tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, and strawberries.  My husband planted a lemon tree that we desperately want to see grow.  Not only will it give us lemons, but it will block out that neighbor's view of our yard and it was much cheaper than raising that entire fence.  We also have a blueberry plant that is currently homeless in our yard.  If it ever stops raining we'll find it a nice home. 

Now I'm ready for summer and the ability to eat food from my own garden.  And there's only 5 more weeks until our farmer's market starts back up.  I love summer produce.


*Blogger's spell check doesn't recognize this word.  It wants it to be homunculus.  Seeing that made me laugh.  Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory.  Also, if your mom watches the show, don't call her a homunculus, even if she's only five feet tall.  She will not find it nearly as funny as you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment